Broadway grosses dipped slightly despite fuller attendance last week.
For the week ending April 24, there were 35 shows running on Broadway. While the total gross across all productions decreased by 2% from the previous week, Broadway brought in a total gross of $34,204,820. Attendance was up by 2%, totaling 267,796. The average ticket price decreased by 4%, sitting at $127.73 compared to last week’s $132.64.
Four shows had official opening nights, where oftentimes entire houses are comped for the performance. A handful of shows remain in previews, with a significant number of tickets comped for the press.
In its first full week of previews, “A Strange Loop” played to 80% capacity, grossing $385,960. The new musical is set to open April 26 at the Lyceum Theatre.
“American Buffalo” played its first full week of performances after opening on April 14. The production took in $596,826. Despite headliner Laurence Fishburne testing positive for COVID-19 prior to the April 22 performance, capacity for the week sat at 88%.
After a strong return to Broadway in its first seven-performance week, “Beetlejuice” experienced a capacity dip of 15%. But the production still managed to gross more than $1.3 million.