All Broadway theaters will remain closed through at least Sept. 6, the Broadway League announced Tuesday.
A date to resume performances has “yet to be determined,” according to the League, and many industry members expect the date to be pushed further as Broadway grapples with health concerns and governmental regulations. Rather, the League says the new date is meant to help facilitate ticket refunds and exchanges for patrons.
Broadway theaters were previously scheduled to be closed through June 7, after first shutting down on March 12.
“While all Broadway shows would love to resume performances as soon as possible, we need to ensure the health and well-being of everyone who comes to the theatre – behind the curtain and in front of it – before shows can return,” said Charlotte St. Martin, president of the Broadway League. “The Broadway League’s membership is working in cooperation with the theatrical unions, government officials, and health experts to determine the safest ways to restart our industry.”
The announcement comes as Gov. Andrew Cuomo has outlined a reopening plan for the state of New York. In that plan, live arts and entertainment are the last to reopen, following construction, retail and restaurants, among others.
Ahead of reopening, Actors’ Equity has hired David Michaels, a former assistant secretary of labor for the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, to consult on new health and safety standards for their members. The union applauded Tuesday’s announcement.
“Today the Broadway League took a difficult but necessary action to put the safety of everyone from the audience to the actors and stage managers first,” said Mary McColl, executive director of Actors’ Equity Association. “Before our members can safely return to work, we will need new protocols that protect audiences and workers alike.”